CropLife South Africa, in co-operation with plastic processors, implemented a system to gather and process empty plastic pesticide containers in a legal and responsible way.
All the details are available on www.croplife.co.za in the Resources tab under the heading Waste Management:
- List of CropLife SA approved plastic collectors and recyclers
- Guidelines for cleansing and disposal of plastic containers
- Warnings about plastic containers
- Guidelines for plastic recyclers
If the pesticide container is empty, clean it as follows at the spray tank:
- Fill the container with clean water up to a quarter of the container’s volume.
- Shake the container for thirty seconds.
- Pour the rinse water over into the spray tank.
- Repeat the rinse process twice.
- Cut the container in quarters and allow it to dry.
Dispose of the material in the following way:
- Contact a CropLife SA approved plastic processor closest to you.
- Arrange for the plastic to be dropped off with them, or for it to be collected from the farm.
- Ensure that the plastic processor’s valid CropLife SA certificate of approval is shown to you.
- Insist on a CropLife SA certificate of compliant destruction.
Do not under any circumstances do the following:
- Bury or burn the containers.
- Donate containers to anyone for reuse.
- Use the containers for lick or drinking containers for animals.
Do your part and do the right thing.